Town Selectboard Meeting During Woolwich's 250th Birthday
History and Location
Woolwich a Maine town on the east side of the Kennebec River. First settled in 1638 by Edward Bateman and John Brown. In 1639, Brown purchased the land from Robin Hood, Chief of the Indians at Nequassett. In 1646, Edward Bateman bought the land. The town was incorporated 20 October 1759.
Approximately twelve miles from the Atlantic Ocean, the town is bordered by waterways.On the South and east are the Sasanoa and Sheepscot Rivers and Montsweag Bay.Merrymeeting Bay, the "Meeting of the Waters," on the northwest is the confluence of five rivers, the Kennebec, Androscoggin, Abagadasset, Cathance, and Muddy -- flowing in from the North and West. Together they continue on as one waterway to the sea.
- from A History of Woolwich, Maine -- A Town Remembered
The 260th Anniversary
Of Woolwich Maine
This is the official website
for the Town of Woolwich, Maine USA